Thursday 16 December 2010

Gifts of the Solstice


Amid falling picture book snow and sub zero temperatures, the Winter Solstice approaches once again. With all the snow we've had it truly does feel like time to hibernate and dream ~ I just sometimes wish someone could tell my children that! 

The fire burning, candles flickering and the solstice tree brought into the house all mark the approach of the longest night for us. We are lucky to live rurally, but still the air of slight panic pervades even here, as people dash around shop-shop-shopping, giant santa claus' loom at us from buildings and there's not a parking space to be found in town when you need one! Every year I find myself feeling more and more uncomfortable with the consumerist nightmare that IS christmas for many people. 

It feels very counter intuitive for me, all this bustle and bluster at a time when the energy all around is calling for us to retreat and nest. Even the trees have sent their energy down into the roots, letting their leaves fall, and everything looks bare and stripped back. As a society we are so far from nature that we no longer take our cues from the land, but for those of us that try to live in harmony with the earth, a deep discomfort can arise. The discord between the wisdom and depth of the Solstice and the superficial tack and glitter of the average Christmas is painful on many levels.

The beauty and truth of this season is there for us all if we can find some peace and stillness in which to observe it. Light a candle and take a moment to connect with whats happening on the land and whats happening in your inner landscape too. Feed the birds, get out in the garden, feel the earth under your feet, settle and breathe into her. Grounding is a great antidote to the frenzy of the season if you find yourself losing your centre, which is easy to do. 

Be true to yourself and the heart of your family ~ celebrate in whatever way is personally meaningful to you and enjoy.

I wish for all of us, the blessings and promise of the Solstice Energy, and the time to savour it and snuggle with our loved ones. 

2 comments:

  1. A lovely reminder Keeley, thank you, beautifully written. My body is forcing me to find some stillness, as I am in bed with a cold. Slow time. So I am sitting here re-reading my diaries for the year, and liking myself a little more. It turns out I have more rhythm and roots than I sometimes give myself credit for. So all is well. Solstice wishes to you, amazing red thread woman....xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This past week in bed with flu, flanked on either side by my teenage girls with flu!, has meant us surrendering to the deep dark unknown. It's been a lesson in stillness, timelessness and going inwards. Not the way I had planned to go into the Solstice, but now that it's passing I'm grateful for the reminder to be slow and still. Thank you for your blog ~ we all need reminding that the bustle is such a societal con.
    I love you! Veronika

    ReplyDelete